Friday, November 5, 2010

Fall Flavors

My friend Evangeline loves to tease me about my delight for the seasons.

I absolutely love the changing of seasons. And I love the colors, the activities, the decorations, and the food that go along with them.

Especially the food.

Fall has some of my favorite flavors-- apples, pumpkin, and cinnamon. I've been baking and cooking with these items a lot the past month (even pretending to be a pioneer woman and getting pumpkin puree and roasted pumpkin seeds from what used to be the decoration on my table!). I realized I haven't shared a recipe in the two years this blog has been going. So to remedy that...

Andrea and I put together this Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili last weekend. It was wonderful to come back from an afternoon out to a delicious aroma and warm comfort food. Mmmmm.

Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
From Deborah Vliet/Taste of Home.com

1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
2 TBS olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt

In a large skillet, saute the onion and yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook a little longer. Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment