Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Snack Girl to the Rescue: A Book Review





Snack Girl to the Rescue! was a fun, informative cookbook. Although I'm not trying to loose weight, I'm always looking for health-conscious recipes and ideas for healthier living. I love fresh, local food and I do get on the organic bandwagon occasionally, but at this time in my life I'm not a Paleo diet enthusiast or boycotting any processed food or stuff like that. I just want to be aware of what I'm eating, why I'm eating it, and where my food comes from. From there, I hope to make wise and balanced choices.

And there's the word that describes this cookbook: balanced. Author Lisa Cain realizes we don't always have the time, money, or energy to follow a strict diet or exercise plan, but that should not stop us from taking the steps (literally and figuratively!) that we can when it comes to healthy living.

The beginning chapters of the cookbook describe her story to weight loss and health, resources for more learning, basic principles and steps to guide you, as well as encouragement and inspiration. I loved her down-to-earth simplicity. The rest of the book has fun, fairly easy recipes for meals and snacks, my favorites being Pumpkin Overnight Pancakes, Baked Eggs and Cheese in Toast Cups, Stovetop Tuna Casserole, and Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (can you tell I'm excited about Autumn recipes??).

The only cons to the cookbook were that I didn't agree with all her principles (she was less concerned about organic, non-GMO, pesticide-free produce than I am) and there were NO pictures in the cookbook (it's just more fun to see the picture of the recipe before you make it, you know?).

Overall, I give it a thumbs-up. It's a family-friend, health-friendly, budget-friendly cookbook by a friendly, relatable author.

Check out the press release for the book for more information!

Or visit the author's website!

[Thanks so much to Blogging for Books for a copy of the cookbook at no cost in exchange for my original and honest review.]

Happy reading and happy cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment