Friday, September 2, 2011

The Little Red Book of Wisdom: A Book Review

The Overall: The Little Red Book of Wisdom, written by businessman Mark DeMoss, discusses a host of wise thoughts to remember and to practice on life’s journey. Handbook-sized (so cute!) and just under 200 pages, the book is divided into wisdom for the professional world and wisdom for one’s personal life. I was immediately interested when I saw this book because I love personal growth that gleans from the wisdom of others. (I learn plenty from trial and error…so it’s nice sometimes to learn from others before I make the mistake!) Mr. DeMoss is sincere and purposeful in his pursuit of Solomon’s virtue and encourages the reader to be the same. The pearls of advice vary from practical items such as hand-writing letters and using technology wisely to perspectives such as remembering God owns it all or that life is brief.

The Nitty Gritty: Many, many wise thoughts in each chapter—and such a variety! The author was great with sharing his own experiences, but at times I felt he came across as aloof instead of relatable.

Favorite Quotes: Instead of quotes this time, I’ll share my favorite chapter topics:

Technology Isn’t Everything/Learning to Use it Wisely

Buy Some Stamps/Reclaiming the Lost Art of Letter Writing

The Wisdom of Firsts/The First Hour, the First Day, the First Dime

A Turtle on a Fence Post/Appreciating How You Got Where You Are

What Sticks Out: I’m dragging my feet with this, but since a book review is about my honest opinion of the book, I’m going to admit I wasn’t a huge fan of the book. The Little Red Book and I just weren’t an inseparable pair. It’s hard to put my finger on it. It had great thoughts, an enthusiastic author, and was well-organized, but the voice of the book didn’t speak to my heart. It was direct, instructional, and practical—I have no doubt that many people could learn and grow from putting into practice the chapters of the book. It simply wasn’t my personal favorite style.

[I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers via Booksneeze at no charge. These are my honest and original comments about the book.]

No comments:

Post a Comment