Saturday, August 13, 2011

Baking from the Garden: A Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe

Last night, as a delicious summer thunderstorm approached from the west, A. and I decided to bake up a storm inside (and it was delicious, too). The zucchini bread turned out so well I decided to share it on here. For all those fellow health nuts health-concious individuals...this recipe is a great alternative to the ones that have more sugar than flour! And as Rachael Ray would say, it's yum-o!!

(so I have to be honest here: those amazing zucchinis in the picture? Not from my garden, but graciously shared by a better gardener than myself!)

Zucchini Bread

2 eggs
¾ c honey (I use ½ cup and then add just a bit of sucanat/sugar)
½ c olive oil (I use coconut oil)
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp ground ginger (oops, we didn’t have any)
¼ tsp cinnamon (didn’t measure; I’m sure I used much more!)
1/3 tsp of vanilla (same as above)
1 medium zucchini squash, grated
1 ½ cup whole wheat flour

Beat eggs, honey, and oil together. Mix in rest of ingredient, adding flour last. The zucchini should be about 1 ½ cups, loosely packed. Can also add nuts if you wish. Bake in a greased loaf pan for 1 hour at 350* F.

From Healthy Choices: No sugar. No white flour. No artificial anything. Authors Marvin and Miriam Wengerd of Keepers at Home Magazine

1 comment:

  1. If I can get my hands on some zucchini, I will definitely have to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete