Monday, June 15, 2009

Thoughts from Jeremiah

I've read it over and over and over again. In the morning on the way to work. Driving home from an appointment with my doctor. When I'm lonely and wishing Grant was there driving instead of me.

And it speaks to my heart and mind every time.

I first read Jeremiah 17:7-8 during the season of Lent. It was in a devotional I was using and the words were just what I needed that day. I tore the page out (don't worry, the devotional was just for 2009!) and posted it on the dashboard in my car to remind me of God's promises in that passage.

And now I realize the words weren't just what I needed that day...but words that I need every day.

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord

Ah, that word 'trust.' Such a difficult thing for us as humans, whether it be trust in one other or trust in the One above. Why is that? Are we afraid that to trust another means to become vulnerable, to risk our well-being (and fragile emotions!) to someone besides ourselves? Yet despite what it seems, to surrender that control to the Lord, to humbly admit we can't do it on our own, brings such peace--and blessings, as the verse says.

Whose hope is the Lord

Hope is one of my favourite words. The true meaning of it is so deep, so rich. Hope brings meaning and purpose to life. To hope means to hold on to the belief that good things are coming, that God has a good plan even if it's not like our plan.

He is like the tree planted besides the waters, that stretches out its roots to the stream

When I choose to trust in the Lord and let Him be my hope, I am stretching out my roots to His waters of grace, quenching my thirsty soul.

It fears not the heat when it comes, its leaves stay green

Trust and hope dispel fear. When we place our trust in God, not in a certain outcome, we know that no matter what happens, He is still God our Father with a good plan for His children. When the heat of difficulties come, we can withstand the fire and come out with new growth.

In the year of drought it shows no distress, but still bears fruit.

In times of waiting or even in times when I see nothing coming of my efforts to become who I want to be, I can wait patiently. I can continue to serve the Lord the best I am able, trusting He is working in my life quietly, and that someday I will see the fruits of this season.

-Jeremiah 17:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment