Thursday, December 1, 2016

This.

This post written by Jenny pretty much sums up how I've been feeling about social media lately. It's been long coming, and there's a part of me that fights it, but I've given up Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest during this Advent season-- and I've already seen a huge difference in my ability to be present, to be content, to be truly connected to people.

My hubby uses social media for his job, but is only checking it twice a day during Advent. We also decided to turn the TV off during 8-9pm and we've used that hour as a somewhat sacred hour to talk, pray, and read. Neither one of us would have said we're addicted or obsessed with social media but it's amazing to see the results of intentionally 'unplugging.' We've struggled to find time to pray together but all of a sudden we have a whole hour conducive to it.

I'm entering into moments more fully-- the good, the bad, and the ugly-- and it's freeing. Is this the right step for everyone? I don't know, I just know it's right for me in this season. To focus on my husband, my daughter, my family, my co-workers, my friends, even the people God sends into my particular sphere (like the single momma I wrote about). I feel more peace living small. I hear God more in the silence. I see reality more clearly without a screen.

It's hard to let go sometimes in a world that praises quantity more than quality. That esteems busyness and accomplishments over solitude and soul-work. But my book club chapter this month spoke of listening well when God speaks twice. And I just feel like He's continuing to speak to me about the value of an unplugged, hidden life lived well. We'll see where He takes my small offering this Advent...

1 comment:

  1. I seriously still have her article open in a tab since reading it last night. Gah! So many points to ponder. I completely get that feeling of unrest that comes from too much scrolling. It's terrible! I find this a challenging stage of life to go offline because like you said it's not for everyone all the time. But I so appreciate that more people are talking about this. Social media is not all it's cracked up to be, and being more in the moment gives so much inner peace. That's a great idea to set aside that hour in the evening! If I could make myself get up earlier, I'd love to have a longer time of prayer then...perhaps something to work on!

    ReplyDelete