Saturday, November 23, 2013

7 Quick Takes [vol. 15]


So I thought maybe if I didn't put the word "Friday" in the title of this post, you guys might forget this is supposed to be a Friday post, not a Saturday one...but then I added in the picture logo and realized it's hopeless. I'm late. I'm cheating. It's Saturday and these are my quick takes.

 
--1--
 

I love these cozy Saturday mornings at home. Slept in (a rare occurrence), drank coffee like it was water in a desert, and just slowly enjoyed the morning with prayer, books, and pumpkin waffles. Four girlfriends came over last night for homemade pizza, visiting a nursing home with our pets, and then girl talk over hot chocolate until 1 in the morning. I'm always refreshed after being with such inspiring souls.

A, Me, and R

--2--
 
My roommate GOT MARRIED a month ago and moved to NORTH DAKOTA! Craziness. It feels like it happened so fast the reality still hasn't set in! We worked such different shifts, I think the adjustment has been easier than I anticipated. She worked 5pm-2am (poor girl) and I work 8am-5pm, so we didn't see each other very often even when we lived together. But still! I can't believe she's across the country now! I'll miss our random cooking nights, movie nights, and homemaking adventures. She and her husband are so cute together and very much in love. Pictures, you ask?
 
How sweet are they?!
 
--3--
 
I was looking for a new roommate (any takers??) but in the meantime, I've been rearranging...and I'm loving the extra space! I now have a craft and reading room, with a bookshelf, all my scrapbooking/cardmaking supplies, and a futon in it for any overnight guests. It's perfectly cozy and purposeful. I can't wait to make Christmas cards in it! (and be able to close the door on the mess until I'm finished with the project!) 
 
Bookshelf is where I'm standing, and there's a card table to the side for crafting

 
--4--
 
Second snow today. Just a dusting but very pretty to see the swirling snowflakes as they fell!
 
This was the first snow a few weeks ago
 
--5--
 

I saw a funny Facebook link on "dog shaming" pictures when your puppy misbehaves. So adorably funny! Since my Little Dog has episodes of misbehavior from time to time, I decided to try one out with him...and it didn't take long for him to provide the perfect opportunity. What do you think?
 
 
 
--6--
 
Road trip! A few weeks ago K. and I went to Holmes County, OH (Amish country, my friends!!) to visit our sweet friend L. We spent the night at her gorgeous home and then enjoyed a Saturday of shopping in the quaint town of Berlin, finishing it off at a yummy Amish restaurant. On Friday night, we had a little trouble and the 4 hour trip turned into a 5 hour trip due to *ahem* some navigator issues...(that would be me). In my defense, it is entirely mostly possibly probably not Mapquest's fault.
 
This is how their directions read:
 
Take interstate 75 South.                                    2.5 miles / total trip 50.5 miles
 
Now is it not completely understandable that I would accidentally see the 50 miles instead of the 2 miles and direct K. to drive 50 miles on interstate 75?
 
Well, that's what I did.
 
And so she happily set the trip tracker for 50 miles and we didn't begin to look for the exit until we were a good 45 miles past it! It's not a good thing when the gas station attendant looks at you blankly when you ask how far you are from your destination. ("Never heard of that town...")
 
All's well that ends well. (Right, K??) My kind, map-reading boyfriend answered the SOS phone call and got us back on track.
 
Mmmm...we love Amish peanut butter. Nevermind that it's comprised of five different types of sugar/sweeteners.
 
--7--
 
Last but not least, have a beautiful Thanksgiving. Families aren't perfect, turkeys overcook, and we can get lonely in a crowd of people...but there is always, always, always something to be thankful for. :) May our Lord bless you with a grateful heart, His abundance grace, and His unending love this week. I'm hugging you right now!







6 comments:

  1. Laura, I live in NORTH DAKOTA! :) Which city does your old roommate live in, small world! Your blog has been in my reader for quite some time, but I don't think I'd read your About Me or Testimony pages before, and I too was diagnosed with PCOS but in high school. Anyways, just wanted to say hello and hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello rdgal37! Thanks for introducing yourself! I think I'm going to follow your blog, you seem like a kindred spirit. :)

      Brrr! Ohio is cold enough right now, I can't imagine going any more North. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,

    I thought the church in your roommate's wedding picture looked familiar, and then I realized it was beautiful St. Peter's in the town where I live. My sister was married there, and actually I just sang for a wedding there myself. What a small world. :)

    I enjoy your blog very much, by the way, what a lovely reflection on life! I discovered it through the Catholic Young Woman site. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Yes, what a small world! That's so neat! I'm about an hour away from St. Peter's, and I have several friends who live in that town. Perhaps they even know you!

      Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  3. *hugs back*

    Have a beautiful Thanksgiving, Laura! It's always so nice to get a peek into your life. It's making me long for another Saturday morning of tea and hot breakfasts and slippers and sleeping in. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Clare!

      Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

      Delete