Thursday, July 30, 2015

Media Detox




I'm detoxing this week, friends.

No, I'm not drinking that weird mix of lemonade, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper.

I'm not slurping green smoothies with chunks of broccoli and kale floating in them.

I'm not even exercising (okay, I'm going to try to take a run tonight!).

Instead, I'm cleansing my mind and spirit from habits related to a little handheld idol...

My Smart Phone.

The other day I was reflecting on the amount of time I spend on my phone (and the internet). It's not that I spend long hours at a time online...but rather that I fill little moments with it. If I'm in a waiting room at a medical office, waiting in the grocery store, eating lunch by myself, even if I'm procrastinating getting out of bed in the morning-- I'm scanning through the apps on my phone. What's new on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest?

It's so. easy. to get hooked on it and to waste those precious little moments with it. I mean, what else would I be doing during those short bursts of time? But that's the problem! What could I be doing with that time? (Prayer for others, meditation on God's love, thinking of a creative way to bring joy to someone else, relishing silence and simplicity.)

My phone can be an enjoyable distraction and a comforting habit. But it's also a thief. Of mental energy. Of focus and concentration. Of joy and contentment (what one of us has NOT struggled with comparison or jealously perusing a social media site at one time?).

Enter the detox plan.

As I reflected on my phone use and wondered what it would be like to use those moments in other ways, I thought...."I should do a fasting week from my phone sometime." Sometime. You know, like far in the future.

But then I changed my mind. There's no time like the present, right? So I announced it to my sister to hold me accountable. And then she decided to join and told my mom. And then my mom decided to join.

And then that night on the news they discussed a recent study on cell phones and the way our constant 'notifications' from them distract our focus and cause us to make up to THREE TIMES more mistakes than we would normally make on whatever we're working on. Thank you, Lord, for the affirmation of my decision! :)

Want to join us? Here's the scoop. We're not throwing the computers, laptops, and phones in the lake. We're being pretty reasonable about this, in case you were getting nervous when I asked you to join.

Here are my rules for the week:

1. Phone can only be used for texts and calls.

2. I am allowed to reference my Pinterest boards for projects/DIY/recipes that I'm working on, but no new pins or scrolling through my feed.

3. I can blog to my little heart's content because writing is creative and beautiful and joyful.

4. No Facebook at all. No Instagram at all (painful!). No surfing from blog to blog to blog.

I'm on Day 2 and it's been fabulous. My mind feels clearer already. I feel closer to the Lord because I don't feel like my online activities are coming before Him. I don't think we were ever meant to have such information overload and such busyness that the online world creates. I'll go back to it, of course. Just like I'd go back to a slice of chocolate cake after a veggie detox. But I'm re-creating better habits in the meantime. Like more discipline in my prayer life and time management.

I'll let you know more thoughts when the week is over! Until then, don't pin anything great that I'll miss out on! ;)

Love,

2 comments:

  1. YES! I joined you for a day and a half and it was oh so wonderful to be disconnected. I think maybe it would be nice to have a regular habit of going without social media for one day a week. Thanks for giving me a kick in the pants to do this!

    ReplyDelete