Tuesday, July 14, 2015

365 Moments of Peace for a Woman's Heart: A Book Review


I love daily devotionals. There's something so lovely about bite-size pieces of inspiration and encouragement and Scripture to start your day. This book is just such a devotional. Scripture at the beginning, a short reflection, Scripture at the end, and a one-sentence prayer. 

The book itself is just the right size with a gorgeous pink and brown hardcover, embossed title, and even a ribbon bookmark. Today's reflection was on 2 Samuel 21, about God reaching down and rescuing us from the deep waters...because He delights in us. Those simple yet profound promises resonate within my soul right now and it's beautiful. 

My only hesitation with this book is that it's not hugely unique. It's similar to any other women's Scripture devotional. The reflections are good but somewhat generic and abstract. My other hesitation with devotionals like this in general are that they cannot be my full morning prayer...they're just not deep enough for me. They do tend to be a little generic, a little fluffy, and little too feel-good. I do want to remember the beautiful promises of Scripture, but I also want to read about Jesus in the Gospels-- His hard teachings and His amazing miracles. I want to converse with Him and ask Him to lead me deeper into holiness. This devotional alone simply can't do that. But again, it can help begin my morning prayer time and begin to lift my heart and mind to the Lord.

What are your favorite devotionals? 

[Thank you to Bethany House Blogger Review Program for sending me this book at no cost. This review contains my honest and original thoughts.]

No comments:

Post a Comment