Friday, April 22, 2011

Hungry

It's Good Friday. A day of fasting for Catholics around the world.

So I'm hungry.

But it's a good thing. Because it reminds me...

-to be in solidarity with the poor who are hungry every single day.

-just how much time and effort I put into meals and snacks each day; that even food can become an idol.

-that I need to "eat to live, not live to eat." (You know who you are that reminds me of this!)

-not to place so much value on things of this world; to instead seek first the kingdom (Matthew 6:33).

-that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak (Mark 14:38). Fasting purifies us and strengthens us, especially against the Evil One (Mark 9:29).

-to be more aware of my daily habits and the way I spend my time.

-to deny myself and take up my cross as Jesus commanded (Luke 9:23).

-to fill myself with the Bread of Life and be truly satisfied (John 6:35).

Thank you, Lord, for the lessons you show us in fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment