Friday, February 23, 2018

Quick Takes (and Good Riddance, February!)

Okay, so not really but kind of? Normally, February is one of my favorite months (thanks to my love for Valentine's Day and my penchant for celebrating my birthday all month long) but this year it was just not a very fun month due to sickness, third trimester hormones, home repairs, and glooooomy weather. I'm quite ready for a fresh slate of a new month with March next week.

1. We finally have almost all our home appliances repaired or replaced that broke down this past month. Totally first world problems, but I'm definitely grateful to be using the washing machine and the dishwasher once again!!

2. There's that fine line in blogging once you're married and have a family of not sharing too much, but the month wasn't the greatest for our marriage either. Lots of disconnect, feeling pulled different directions with our missions and ministry, and miscommunication. Thankfully, we seem to be on the up and up. It's amazing how the little things can improve a marriage. I've also realized (thanks to Kirby's fabulous series!) that my love language might just be more of Quality Time than I realized instead of Words of Affirmation!

3. My mother is law is here to visit and that's been hugely helpful this week. The toddler has also slept (almost) through the night for three nights in a row and it's amazing what better sleep can do for your mental outlook. So was the isolated afternoon of gorgeous weather-- we went from 20's and 30's to a day of 69 degrees!!! Little G and I spent over an hour outside walking and playing at the park. Give me ALL the vitamin D!!!!

4. I've been making lots of comfort food these winter months and have tried to increase the amount I make for certain meals so that I can freeze some extra for post baby. Yesterday I was able to freeze two meatloaves. Today I'm planning to make a double batch of muffins recommended by Jen and will freeze a dozen. It's kind of my lazy freezer meal planning. ;)

5. Have you watched any of the Olympics? We've enjoyed having it on each night more than I thought we would! I generally thought I was a bigger fan of the summer ones, but it's been fascinating watching the skiing, skating, and even bobsledding! (Though I can't watch bobsledding without thinking of the movie Cool Runnings! lol!)

6. If you're Catholic, you know the current conversation starter is 'how is your Lent going?' I'd say mine is off to a decent start, but I'd like to be more intentional about it. I gave up social media, which is always helpful for me to reprioritize and have the extra time and presence throughout the day. I'm also committed to praying a daily rosary for our marriage and have been trying to use naptime more for prayer. Today I prayed the Stations of the Cross, which is always strangely comforting and nostalgic for me...probably because we went to them weekly when I was growing up.

7. Unfortunately, the abortion clinic I mentioned to you has pressured the local hospital to sign a transfer agreement with them so they can remain open. This is devastating news for all of us. My husband mentioned the grave reality that in a way the blood of all those children who will be killed in our town is on the hands of the hospital board members who voted in approval. It's very disturbing to us that a hospital would stoop to a partnership with an organization whose sole purpose is to end life rather than save it. We plan to change hospitals now for our services but are continuing to work and pray for a change in the agreement. My husband was on national Catholic radio with Teresa Tomeo to discuss the situation and he did a wonderful job. I was so proud. Please keep us all in prayer as we continue to fight the decision.

I hope you all are staying warm and cozy and fighting the winter blues with me! Do something to treat yourself this weekend (or at least on Sunday because, you know, #Lent). ;) And for some extra clicks, check out the rest of the quick takes gang at Kelly's!

10 comments:

  1. visiting from SQT link up! hello!
    we enjoy watching the Olympics as well. every night with hubs and my children (then they complain when it's close to 9 and bedtime).

    Sarah @ DISISD.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for visiting!

      Yes, there's something festive and almost patriotic about watching the Olympics as a family!

      Delete
  2. Happy almost end of February! I’m ready for ALL the sunshine too. Sounds like a bit of a tough month, and glad to hear some things are improving. Sickness and broken things and growing in tough patches is hard! That’s so sad to hear about the abortion clinic but good that efforts are being made to stop it. I’ve been watching much of the olympics and love it! I’m so impressed what the human body is capable of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! That's so true about the inspiration of the Olympics-- we are fearfully and wonderfully made!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sad to hear about the hospital working with the abortion clinic. How awful! I'll continue to keep that situation in my prayers. Your lazy freezer meal planning is what I did when I was pregnant with Peter, and I'll probably do that again-I think sometimes it's easier for me just to make extra big batches instead of carving out an afternoon specifically for freezer meal prep.

    We don't have TV and haven't really been watching the Olympics, but last night we started watching the highlight videos on Youtube that NBC put up, and enjoyed those-we got the thrill of seeing people do amazing things without all of the commercial breaks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's nice without commercials!

      Yes, I agree that it's SO much easier to slowly freeze stuff than dedicate a whole afternoon or day!

      Delete
  4. I’ve never met someone who likes February before! I find February to be the sloggiest of months. Give me April or October any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I've really gotten down about February! Maybe the past years I haven't been indoors/staying at home as much? Or maybe I've had more social things to bide the time. But yeah...probably joining the club of not loving it so much anymore! ;)

      Delete
  5. Heyy we ate those muffins for breakfast today! :) Totally, totally agree about the small things helping a marriage. I love how you're praying a daily rosary for your marriage, so beautiful! Been thinking about your family lately - so glad to see an update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so amazed at how Mary helps us so much when we ask for her prayers!!

      Delete