Saturday, December 15, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday...on a Saturday [Take 5]


Christmas tree lit. Candles flickering. Hot chocolate steaming (made with almond milk today for a change. It's delish-- kinda nutty and chocolate-y at the same time). And a few free hours all to myself. Mmm...it's been a crazy week so this. feels. wonderful.
 
 
--1--
 
Today I worked at our community's free health clinic. I sign up for it every so often and I love it every time. It's really touching to meet the people who come there for care. I'm inspired by their openness, trust, and gratitude. A group of college students help us with the paperwork and with bringing patients back. I love college kids, so it's a lot of fun to hang out with them and to hear about their majors and such. I missed them today--most of them were already on their Christmas break.
 
--2--
 
(Just a minute. Need another sip of that amazing hot chocolate.)


Last night my dear girlfriends came over for a Christmas party. My one Christmas party of the season that I was hosting...and it started out completely unlike I had planned! I got home from work much later than usual because I ended up in the Emergency Room with someone (all is well now, but please say a quick prayer for their health!). My sweet girls were so understanding and kind. They even made my stuffed mushroom recipe while I changed clothes! Normally, I love hosting and want everything to be just right, but this was a great lesson for me. I was just thankful all turned out okay at the ER and it didn't really matter that the party wasn't perfect. We had a beautiful time caroling at the local nursing home and then came back to my apartment for snacks and a white elephant gift exchange (and lots and lots of talking).
 

--3--
 
I went to a zumba class with my friend K. on Monday. Wow. So ridiculously fun. There were probably around 75 women and many different ages. I messed up sometimes and laughed a lot of times. The upbeat music and friendly women made for an enjoyable night of dancing...er, working out. Can exercise really be this fun? (although I'm making up for it now! Pretty sore these last few days...)
 
--4--

I home-made my Christmas cards this year and I'm almost finished mailing them out. I love the old-fashioned thoughtfulness of snail mail in the midst of this technology age. There's nothing like handwriting a message, sealing the envelope with a cute sticker, and knowing that someone will be opening and reading that same card in a couple days across the city, or state, or country.
 
 

--5--

I'm getting my feet wet with training for the crisis pregnancy center. This past week was overwhelming with the amount of protocols, policies, and paperwork to learn, but I knew that would be the case so I'm okay with it. There was one moment that made it all worth it--when a girl close to my age came in asking for a pregnancy test. I looked into her eyes and I recognized the emotions of fear and uncertainty. I knew we were not so different no matter how different our circumstances might be. I knew this was exactly where I wanted to be. To tell her and other sisters like her what every one of us needs to hear sometimes: you are safe. You are loved. You are precious. And I am here for you.
 
--6--

Remember this dear friend? She called this week and left a message inviting me to visit for an evening of spending time together...along with some cheese fondue. Just thinking about it warms my heart and relaxes my soul...and makes me kinda hungry, too!
 
--7--


Last night we girls talked and prayed about the tragedy of the school shooting in Connecticut. My brain can't even wrap around the unimaginable details of it. I don't have words. I really don't. I just feel fragments of thoughts and unfinished sentences in my mind. About Christmas for those families. About loss and death and mental illness. About our world and what kind of pain or torture leads a person to commit such horrors. About the demons that prowl about (1 Peter 5:8) seeking to destroy. Father, be with the people of Newton. Send your Spirit the Comforter to them. Hold those precious little children close to your heart.
 
 

Every day of life is such a gift. I'm reminded of this and it sobers me, silences me, slows me. Whatever stress, heartache, or uncertainties are in my life or in yours...we have this breath, this moment alive. And it's a gift. So as one of my favorite-godly-women-ever reminds me and the young adults (C.), "Take a deep breath. Breathe in all your heart's desires...now breathe out in surrender."
 
It all comes from Him. And even in senseless tragedy, we know He is good. So we trust Him. And we surrender.
 
"Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. I love that psalm "Be still and know that I am God." Have a Merry Christmas and thank you for blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete