Saturday, January 15, 2011

This Little Light of Mine...

I cuddled in my chair, watching the candles as I prayed. One little tealight was dimmer than the others. It looked as if it were almost ready to go out, but it continued to burn with a gentle orange glow next to the other bright, flickering candles.

Only a moment later I glanced at the candle again and noticed it burning brighter. Instead of a quiet glimmer, it had grown into a taller, shining flame—still not as tall as the others, but shining with its own light.

And in that moment, my heart related to the little candle.

Sometimes I feel bright and filled with the light of Christ. Ready to meet the day and live it for Him. To share His light with others.

But sometimes I feel my energy grow dim. My bright mood darkens with sadness or pain or weariness. I can hardly keep the embers glowing and I fear that all will be ashes soon.

I wait. I hold onto the tiny glow within. I hope.

And as time passes, the flame begins to grow again. My sparkle returns and I am grateful for more light.

Two different lights. The bright blaze, full of energy and warmth. And the tiny spark that is ready to go out, that is using everything within it to keep glowing in the darkness.

The beautiful truth is...both can glorify Him. He understands that feelings come and go, that weariness happens, that motivation wanes.

But He does ask that we keep going. That we give Him all we have, whether it be a bright blaze or a tiny spark.

He'll take care of the rest.

After all, He is the Light of the World.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful things I've read this week. It made my eyes fill with understanding tears.

    Thank you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet encouraging post. Thanks so much for taking time to share your thoughts. And may your "candle" always continue to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Thank you both for your comments-- they mean so much to me. :)

    ReplyDelete