Monday, August 16, 2010

One of the Other Nine

"As Jesus was going into a village, ten men with leprosy came toward Him. They stood at a distance and shouted, 'Jesus, Master, have pity on us!'

"...On their way they were healed. When one of them discovered that he was healed, he came back, shouting praises to God. He bowed down at the feet of Jesus and thanked Him."

I'd like to think I'm always the one racing back with a thankful heart for the blessings I've received. That I shout praises to God and bow at the feet of Jesus.

"Jesus asked, 'Weren't ten men healed? Where are the other nine?' "

But many times I'm not. I'm one of the other nine.

I've been praying for months about the decision of whether to have ovarian surgery done in an attempt to cure my PCOS. Somehow it all came together smoothly and the surgery was scheduled before I knew it, orchestrated in the beautiful way God often uses-- usually while I'm in the midst of worrying and over-analyzing.

Surrounded by the prayers, love, and encouragement from so many, my surgery date of August 3rd came and went, once again with the gracefulness that seems to come only from above. Thankfulness washed over me as I realized it was over. The months of wondering, of preparing, of fearing the unknown. They were gone. Competent surgeon's hands had erased the source of my condition and given me a great prognosis, a "10 out of 10," he called it.

For a time I was the leper returning in thanks. But how quickly I became one of the other nine. My gratitude was overshadowed by the difficulty of my recovery. The pain, the slowness, the sense of purposelessness tucked my relief and gratitude under the rug. The feelings of thankfulness were replaced by feelings of pity, of boredom, of loneliness.

What a selfish child I must seem to God at times! So many times before I came to Him with prayers for help and healing-- yet afterwards my prayers of thanksgiving were only a fraction of those times.

Lord, thank you for your care and healing touch. That you are by my side every moment, even when I forget you. That you give me infinite second chances. That you love me as your child, even when I'm childish. That this life you've given me is beautiful, even when I can't see it. Thank you.

"Then Jesus told the man, 'You may get up and go. Your faith has made you well.' "*


*Scripture verses from Luke 17:11-19

No comments:

Post a Comment