Sunday, May 4, 2014

Barefoot Summer: A Book Review


Barefoot Summer is a novel unfolding the story of Madison, a young woman who decides to enter a sailboat regatta-- despite her intense fear of water-- because winning the regatta was the one wish of her late twin brother. The subplot digs deeper into Madison's fears, past, family life, and her deep-set (although based on false information) prejudice of Beckett, her handsome sailing coach.

I chose this book to read and review because the title sounded fun, refreshing, and adventurous. Though the book has some positive points, it didn't meet my personal expectations. It's written well with beautiful descriptions and depth, but I felt the story was slow and drawn out. Rather than a large cast of characters, much time was spent on just a few characters and I struggled to stay engaged. I love strong female characters in fiction, but I couldn't connect to Madison for some reason.

Final thoughts? Well written book, but not my personal style or expectations for fiction.

[Thank you to BookLook Bloggers for the chance to read and review this novel at no cost. The words in this review are my original and honest thoughts.]

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You finally posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, pretty lady! Finally coming out of my cocoon! More to come! ;)

    ReplyDelete